Thursday, August 21, 2014

GEORGIA Home of the Southern Belles

I'm home now.


Stuff hanging from these enormous trees.
Gigi says it's all over.
Kind of amazing.
Pretty sure all scary movies have this hanging from the trees. 
Very wicked looking.

While there we toured a plantation.
I loved learning about its history.
The trees just fascinated me.

All of the furnishings and everything is exactly like it was.

The China is beautiful.

Hi Gigi!
We went to St. Simon's Island.
I can't remember what Gigi said this building used to be but
I loved the colors and textures.


A row of trees.
It would be scary to walk through here on Halloween. 

Snapped Gigi in front of this viney stuff and grows on trees.
Then we climbed up the lighthouse.
I had never seen a lighthouse before.


Isn't she just the cutest!?!

The view of the ocean from the top of the lighthouse.

The view to the bottom of the lighthouse.

Gigi the tour guide!

We also had lunch with this lady.
Miss Ella.
I work with Miss Ella's niece.
It was an interesting coincidence Gigi and I discovered several years ago.
Wow. We've known each other for a longer time than that.
Blogging is amazing.


Really bad blurry cell phone picture of the three of us.
Miss Ella is the sassiest 80 year old I've ever met.

Apparently you can't visit the south without having true Southern food.
Harry and Travis and Harrison and Gigi's dad fixed a true Southern delicacy.
Low Country Boil.
Potatoes, corn on the cob, Sausage and shrimp boiled in a pot with 
special cajun seasoning.
Uhm. Yum!
I didn't get a picture of that.
Apparently I was too busy eating.
Shrimp.
Best food ever.
We fed the missionaries.
They really enjoyed it.
They had been doing a service project just before they came over.

There was massive amounts of food.
But we all managed to make a large dent in it.

This was my room at Gigi's.
She and Harry made me feel so welcome. 
It was the best time ever!
I'll never be able to say thanks enough for such an amazing time.






6 comments:

Kerin said...

Looks like you had such a wonderful time, and your friends were such wonderful hosts to you.

Pretty amazing how different this country of ours looks, from one state to the next.

Seeing those Elders made my heart smile. Our youngest served his mission in Georgia!!

Glad you are home safe and sound, with warm memories, and special friendships.

K.

Mikki said...

Love that you two got to hang out together. I'm a bit jealous of the both of you! :)

gigi said...

Dear Tauna, I'm still at awe that you came to visit little ole me! I feel honored that you spend your hard earned money and your vacation time, it meant the world to me! You are the most gracious and quiet house guest we have ever had! Seriously! Please come again, SOON!

I've been wanting to go to Utah and Idaho and visit you and others. The Sweetheart isn't able to travel right now and I can't leave him and travel because he depends on my daily help just to get bathed and dressed for work. I know that eventually he will be healthier and we can travel again together to see family, friends and my favorite blogging Family/friends.

Your visit was such a highlight in my summer and really got me excited to be able to show you my little corner of the world! I enjoyed seeing my town through your eyes! I just hated it was so stinkin HOT!!!

Ms. Ella is a one of a kind friend and I'm so glad you got to meet Susie's favorite Aunt! And her chocolate crack ain't to bad either!

Yes, a "Low Country Boil" is a must for visiting family and friends from the west. Y'all just can't get fresh shrimp right off the shrimp boats like we can so it's a must! Sorry you had shrimp twice that day but it's just a southern thing. I loved that after a few bites you said, "oh, this is what shrimp is suppose to taste like?" So funny! (And it's always fun to feed the missionaries! Tauna knew one of the Elders cousins because she is a Sister Missionary in Tauna's mission area, small world!)


Ok, the rest of you have seen our back bunk room! We can sleep 6 comfortably. I think you should start saving your pennies and head down here next spring break! Tauna has to come again cause there are things we missed and she just needs to see! So y'all come now, ya hear!!

Love you Tauna, to the Moon and back!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love the hanging moss in the trees, I always take pictures of it in Florida! Love the pictures and it is apparent that you had a fabulous time visiting Gigi.

Momza said...

Love the Spanish moss from the trees...brings back memories of my Southern-born&raised-chidlhood.
And how cool is it that you got to see it all with a dear friend?!
I'll be up in your neck of the woods come January 2015 and hope to visit you then!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great in person "link-up" . I love this. Such fun pictures of the elders...I have a special place in my heart for the young elders where ever they serve. Our "young elder" will be leaving in October! Have a good week!